VACANCIES: Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries:
14 December 2016
VACANCY: Rehabilitation Coordinator SANCCOB
8 November 2016
Biodiversity Manager – Gamsberg Project
7 November 2016
VACANCY: Events Manager - ICLEI Africa (NOW CLOSED)
25 October 2016
VACANCY: CHIEF SCIENTIST (OCEANOGRAPHY) - 27 September 2016
Reference No: 9912420
The Institute for Maritime Technology (IMT), a Division of the Research and Development Department located in Simon’s Town in the Western Cape, has a vacancy for Chief Scientist Oceanography. Applications are invited from people who meet the qualification and experience requirements below.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The role of the Chief Scientist is to provide expert systems and technology support to the SA Navy and other clients, and to execute and manage technically complex projects with multiple specialist and support personnel as team members.
CRITICAL PERFORMANCE AREAS:
· To manage and execute scientifically complex projects with multiple specialist and support personnel as team members.
· Expert contribution to the development, integration, application and/or analysis of naval systems (in domain specific capability area).
· May develop complex computer models in order to simulate, interpret results and to perform mathematical verification.
· To provide inputs to the long-term capability development plan.
· To promote and maintain client interfaces while promoting own technical area/expertise.
· To decide on technology implementation that will influence readiness in the medium term.
· May provide hardware / software design tasks of a complex nature.
· To write scientific reports specifying raw data as well as interpretation of results and make recommendations.
· To translate the client expectations into a valid scientific solutions.
· To develop solutions to complex scientific problems and document it in scientific reports.
· Execution of system tests (hardware / software) and document test results.
· Interpret complex measured results and propose actions and recommendations.
· Comprehend and apply knowledge of widely applied principles underpinning good scientific practice and specialist knowledge.
· Be responsible for making complex scientific decisions as part of scientific activities.
· To identify opportunities for IMT process improvement.
· Provide expert consultancy advice and influence internal and external stakeholders on scientific activities in own area of expertise.
· Communicate and network with client in support of IMT objectives and identify new business opportunities
· To network with industry to be aware of latest available technology in area of expertise.
· To undertake professional development activities, sufficient to maintain and extend competence in specified areas.
· To mentor and share expertise with team members with less experience based on area of specialization.
· May represent IMT on conferences, seminars and workshops.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION:
· B.Sc. Hons Degree in applicable Science
· Master’s degree in applicable Science will be a recommendation
· SACNASP registration - desirable
· Minimum 9 years’ experience
· Extensive experience in applicable Science.
· Experience in the military environment will be an advantage
Shortlisted candidates will be subjected to psychometric assessment. In line with Armscor’s commitment to compliance with the Employment Equity Act, preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The closing date for applications is 5 October 2016.
Please email your CV’s to firstname.lastname@example.org using this reference no: 9912420