VACANCIES: Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries:
14 December 2016
VACANCY: Rehabilitation Coordinator SANCCOB
8 November 2016
Biodiversity Manager – Gamsberg Project
7 November 2016
VACANCY: Events Manager - ICLEI Africa (NOW CLOSED)
25 October 2016
VACANCY: SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL PARKS MARINE BIOLOGIST - 12 October 2016
PATERSON GRADING D3
SCIENTIFIC SERVICES | CAPE RESEARCH CENTRE | TOKAI
Closing date: 24 October 2016
A vacancy exists in the Cape Research Centre in the Scientific Services Unit, based at Tokai in Table Mountain National Park, for a senior Marine Biologist. The successful candidate will be expected to operate in both marine and estuarine environments inTable Mountain, Agulhas, West Coast and Namaqua National Parks.
Key responsibilities include:
• conducting applied marine research to address ecological problems
• conducting surveys and community analyses of marine resources
• establishing and maintaining surveillance and monitoring programmes in marine and estuarine environments
• keep abreast of current scientific thinking and the peer-reviewed literature and pursue appropriate academic development and growth to maintain scientific credibility and recognition
• publishing research findings in scientific journals and popular media
• providing advice to senior management within sphere of expertise for the management of marine and estuarine areas of national parks in support of park management plans and contributing to adaptive management thereof
• liaising with external scientists about research in marine areas of national parks and seeking greater involvement in collaborative projects
• representing SANParks at meetings, committees and workshops, particularly those relating to marine and estuarine issues • work planning and scheduling for the marine team, budget control, personnel supervision, general administration.
• A minimum of an MSc degree but preferably a PhD in Marine Biology.
• At least seven years working experience including research project management
• A significant publication record
• A sound knowledge of marine protected areas and estuarine legislation, conservation practices and principles
• Excellent written and verbal communication and networking skills.
• Able to lead a team and be part of a team
• Willing and able to travel extensively to national parks and regularly conduct fieldwork.
• Post graduate degree work experience in the fields of either marine or estuarine ecology will be an added advantage.
• A valid Code B driver’s license.
The remuneration package includes a basic salary, based on the salary scale of a position with a Paterson D3 job grade, and allowances and benefits as specified in the HR Tariff document and Conditions of Service of SANParks.
Queries to Jacqueline Jacobs (012) 426-5049
To apply, e-mail your application accompanied by a CV and certified copies of your qualifications to Jacqueline.email@example.com P O Box 787 PRETORIA 0001